Monday, February 11, 2013

Gongxi Fa Cai!!!

All my hot mamas, throw on you aprons because it's gonna get messy. (sorry, my photos won't upload. I'll try uploading them later on. Until then, enjoy)

In the spirit of Chinese New Year, I have decided to post a recipe for almond cookies. If you have never heard of almond cookies and have seen the movie, Kung Fu Panda, these are the cookies that Po was eating when he found Monkey's stash in the kitchen.

This recipe was actually shared by my friend, Didi.

Yes, I definitely love my Chinese side; though I've only got a small percentage of it in my blood. My pops said that we are, so we are (right?!?). From my dad's side we get our Filippino, Spanish, and Hawaiian blood. It's awesome and I have been so blessed to be a part of the Kai (once Kahahawai) bloodline.

So may your crops be plentiful this new year my friends!

PS. If anyone tells you, "Gongxi fa cai" make sure you respond, "hongbao na lai" which means, "red envelope give me". If you have ever seen those red envelopes you know that there is money inside. So, if you are wished a plentiful new year, and respond with hongbao na lai, guess what? They owe you money. Shazam! And YOU are welcome ;)


Chinese Almond Cookies
(That Po made look so amazingly delicious)

3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups shortening
1 1/4 cups sugar 
1 egg
2 tsp. almond extract
red food coloring

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Sift flour, baking soda, and salt

In a mixer bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Mix in the egg and almond extract

Add flour mixture; mix well

Shape into 1-inch balls and place on ungreased  cookie sheet

Press balls to flatten and dot each enter with red food coloring

Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until light brown

Makes approx 6 doz.

**A hui hou!**

2 comments:

  1. Wheres the recipe for pake cake? Haha love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, okay, after I do the Chinese New Year foods guarantee

      Delete