Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Fired

Have I mentioned how horrible I am at Blogging? I've recently decided that I'm not a finisher. I love starting new things but for some reason I can never finish them, unless we're talking about the songs I've written on the guitar, those get done pretty quick.

So now I'm back and ready to go. Per request I will spend the next couple posts talking about my AMAZING Chinese New Year feast. That was, as we say, onolicious. Or for those SNL and Will Ferrel (sp?) fans, scrumtrelescent. Honestly, we were so stuffed afterwards. From homemade guotie to pork hash and manapua bread to choy sum, our meal was complete. Here is a teaser of a pic for those of you who wanted to know how amazing it looked.

Okay, maybe it's been a while because for some reason it looked better when I was hungry. Oh well.

As you can see our menu was as follows:

Kung Pao Shrimp
Kung Pao Chicken (my friend doesn't like shrimp)
Guotie (potstickers)
Pork Hash (Almost the same as the guotie except it is steamed)
Manapua Bread (Baozi/steamed buns)
Taiwanese rice (mine turned out HORRIBLE so I won't share)
White Rice
Choy Sum

Yes my friends, we were in Chinese heaven. I felt like I was back home in Hawai'i. Today, let's start small; choy sum.

I believe for this night I used Ching Kai Choy. Honestly, I think that or bok choy are the best. I actually came up with the recipe at a girls night with some of my girlfriends. One handed me some bok choy and says, "make something". I'm not one to just throw something together, but I can honestly say we were all pretty surprised at the outcome of this dish. I just guessed on these measurements so go ahead and add or subtract to the amounts based on what you like.

Ingredients:

2-3 bunches bok/ching kai choy
1 Tbsp peanut oil
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 1/2 tsp sesame seed oil
1 Tbsp sugar
Sesame seeds (optional)

1) Cut off the ends of the "choy" and rinse the leafy greens

2) On medium-high, heat oil. Add in the greens and stir.

3) When the leafs begin softening add in the oyster sauce (it may smell). After stirring for a couple of minutes (seriously, only a couple => 2), add in the sugar and continue to stir.

4) Once the "choy" is softened and flimsy (yeah, my vocabulary isn't too impressive), add the sesame seed oil and stir for a little longer.

5) Add sesame seeds if desired. It already has sesame seed oil so it will be more for looks. Serve it up.

Like I said, this one may be a trial and error (or trial and success at finding what NOT to do, for all my "cup half full" friends) so try it out and add to or take away from this recipe.

**A Hui Hou**



No comments:

Post a Comment