Friday, March 15, 2013

Kung Pao Shrimp/Chicken

So, you don't like shrimp? Mei guanxi (don't worry about it), no worry beef curry, the chicken is a, "winna-winna chicken dinna" too. My husband isn't a huge fan of shrimp but if it's done well he could eat a ton. He also hates onions, which this recipe calls for; so as you can guess this dish must be good if he requests it at least once a week.

As I have said before, I find a lot of my recipes online, I found this one and made a few adjustments. I like it spicy, as Mama Mai knows well. PS, I'm still scarred by that teppenyaki place.

Kung Pao Shrimp/ Chicken

2-4 dried chili (I used about 6 or 7)
1 1/2 TBSP peanut oil
1 lb chicken thigh; cubed/ shrimp 
(I used the shelled-deveigned-tail on/)
1/3 C raw shelled peanuts
1 medium sized onion; cubed
2 TBSP water
1 TBSP shoyu (soy sauce)
1 TBSP Chili bean sauce
2 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sugar
2 garlic cloves; minced
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp sesame oil



 1) Heat the oil; add chili and stir. Allow the oil to soak into the chili a little to release the spice

2) Add in the raw peanuts and meat (the shrimp tends to release water when cooking. You might want to double to sauce recipe for it). In a small bowl, mix all other ingredients except onions and sesame oil.

3) Add in the onions (I didn't write fresh snap peas, but those are bomb in this dish. If you like, add it in now)

4) When the meat is almost done (the shrimp shouldn't be orange, when it has no more gray and is pinkish) add in the ingredients mixed in the bowl.

5) Bring to boil. The sauce will get thick so you might want to stir fry it.

6) After the sauce is thicker, reduce head and simmer. 

7) Add sesame oil

Serves 3-4. I know, not a lot. But dude, this is bomb diggity. 

Oh, and another thing, if you are planning on doing the chicken I would use thighs sooooo ono!

Enjoy my fellow food lovers

No comments:

Post a Comment